What is Ozone?
- Ozone is a pale blue gas produced naturally by lightning which causes oxygen atoms to temporarily combine into groups of three atoms.
- It forms the ozone layer which protects plants and animals to prevent damaging ultraviolet rays from reaching the earth’s atmosphere. The oxygen that we breathe is made up of two oxygen atoms and is the most stable form of oxygen. It is the addition of the third oxygen atom that gives ozone its unique therapeutic benefits.
Ozone at Ozone Dentistry
At our Ozone Dentistry practice, we have several ozone generators to produce a range of concentrations of ozone gas, ozonated water and we also make use of ozonated oil.
At Ozone Dentistry, we use ozone in one form or another in every procedure whether it is a hygiene appointment, desensitisation of teeth, wound cleaning of surgical sites, disinfection of surfaces or the provision of water to all our dental units to eliminate biofilm to ensure the water coming from our dental units has a therapeutic effect (biofilm is microorganisms which commonly build up in dental water lines). We even have a unique procedure to treat periodontal disease with an application of ozone gas.
Ozone inhibits microorganisms and acts as a potent but a safe disinfectant.
- Ozone interferes with the metabolism of bacterial cells and fungi.
- Ozone destroys viruses by diffusing through the protein coat and then into the nucleic acid core, resulting in damage to the viral DNA or RNA.
- Ozone virtually kills all bacteria, viruses, fungi and protozoa and no resistance can be developed against ozone.
- Ozone is effective even against drug resistant bacteria. It can therefore be used safely to disinfect anything from soft and hard tissue wounds and surgical sites to bench tops and floors.
Why do we use Ozone?
Ozone is basically an “exercise in a bottle”, a “supercharged” Oxygen.
Ozone ensures a more efficient use of Oxygen by each cell that it comes into contact with, thus it enhances healing, decreases inflammation, lowers pain and reduces swelling in the treated area.
Ozone works by enhancing the body’s natural body defences and improves healing.
We use ozone in every aspect of the dentistry we practice because ozone has great antiseptic, antibacterial, anti fungal and anti viral properties. No organism can develop a resistance to ozone because it reacts just like oxygen in our tissues.
- Ozone not only kills microbes but enhances the way our cells take up and consume oxygen, making them work better to release more energy which is needed for healing.
- Ozone enhances circulation in the area where it is applied, which results in faster and better healing as the area becomes more oxygenated.
How does Ozone work?
Having three oxygen atoms makes ozone unstable and thus highly reactive.
- Ozone instantaneously reacts with tissues that it comes into contact with to form ozonides.
- Ozonides enhance the therapeutic healing effect for days or weeks through stimulation of stem and blast cells to start healing and regeneration.
Ozone and the produced ozonides have multiple therapeutic properties described as:
- Acting on the membranes of white blood cells, causing them to produce immune related messenger molecules called cytokines. These cytokines regulate the immune system. This means that:
- If the immune system is under active, as in the case of chronic infection, cancer or AIDS, Ozone can stimulate it.
- If the immune system is over active, e.g. due to autoimmune diseases, Ozone can calm it down.
- Enhances circulation by improving the flow of blood.
Many patients with chronic infections like chronic gum conditions have swelling and inflammation at the site which limits circulation and decreases the amount of oxygen carrying haemoglobin, which is responsible to provide energy to help heal the area. By enhancing the flow characteristics of blood, more of the oxygen carrying haemoglobin reaches the area, allowing for faster and better healing.
- Enhance uptake of oxygen by stimulating the enzyme di-phospho-glycerate (DPG).
DPG enables the release of oxygen from the haemoglobin molecule to be taken up into the cell. In diabetics for example, the absence of an adequate amount of DPG causes the body cells to be starved of oxygen, accounting for the slow healing in diabetics. Ozone is a potent mitochondrial stimulant, increasing mitochondrial energy production required for cells to start healing. The main underlying cause behind all degenerative diseases from diabetes to heart disease is decreased mitochondrial energy production. Ozone can help to correct this problem.
How is Ozone made artificially?
Ozone can be produced by ozone generators which typically use a high voltage electrical discharge to simulate lightning which cause oxygen atoms to temporarily combine into groups of three.
Ozone generators are used by some water corporations to disinfect municipal drinking water, public swimming pools and industrial wastewater cooling towers, by the food industry to preserve food, in semiconductor manufacture, by the hospitality industry to disinfect and clean utensils and by the health industry in various medical and dental applications and in the manufacture of pharmaceuticals.
Our ozone equipment meets the Approved International Safety and American NSF Standards. The equipment also has complete compliance with U.S. EPA / OSHA standards.
No nitrogen oxide or other toxic by-products are released – only oxygen upon disintegration of ozone into its basic components.
Everything can be toxic if taken in excessive amounts – even water. We do appreciate that. We have been trained to use ozone and use only the right dosage which is specific and offer ozone only in the right dosage, specific to every procedure.
Karim is an active member of the American Academy of Ozonotherapy. He keeps up to date with the latest in research to continuously update his knowledge with like minded practitioners.
You can find out what others say about medical and dental uses of ozone here.