Treatment for Gum and Jaw bone (periodontal) disease
At Ozone Dentistry, we are passionate about gum and jaw bone health. We understand the strong link between dental and general health and offer special treatment options to help aid the reversal of Periodontal disease and to regain your HEALTH and vitality.
Strong link between gum, periodontal health and general health
For many years now, the definite connection between health of our periodontium (gum and jaw bone) and the rest of our body has been established. Studies have shown that diseased gums can lead to:
- Heart conditions.
- Respiratory conditions.
- Kidney disease.
- Diabetes and more.
You can find out more about periodontal disease and the link with general health here.
Once gum conditions are properly addressed and treated, many conditions in other parts of the body have been shown to make marked signs of improvement.
Even if you are otherwise fit and healthy, removing foci of infections and bacteria from your mouth will definitely make you feel better, more energetic and more healthy.
Understanding periodontal disease
What is plaque?
- Plaque is the name given to the biofilm that forms over teeth.
- Plaque build-up starts soon after your last tooth brushing.
- Plaque density increases over time as more populations of bacteria invade, nourish and divide.
- The bacteria builds up and allows more harmful acidogenic (acid forming anaerobic Oxygen haters) bacteria to flourish.
When plaque is not removed
- If the plaque is not brushed or flossed off regularly, the acid and bacteria lead to swelling and inflammation of the gums.
- This causes the gums to bleed easily and go quite red.
- The bleeding of gums along with bacteria from the mouth enter the circulatory system and cause the body to initiate various systemic responses to the bacteria which is what leads to diseases in the body.
The onset of periodontal disease
The onset of periodontal disease
1. When plaque is not removed, the disease may extend to surrounding structures that hold the tooth in place – ligaments, the bone and surface of the tooth root.
2. This leads to formation of a gap around the tooth, called a pocket.
3. Pockets lead to more food entrapment between the teeth, resulting in bacteria growth in areas which are more difficult to clean.
4. The tooth loses more support from its anchoring structures.
5. This process can ultimately lead to a loss of the tooth. In fact, the number one cause of tooth loss is disease of the gum and surrounding structures.
The way we approach gum disease is quite unique
- We don’t just rely on mechanical methods to remove bacteria.
- We go further by activating the cellular biological level.
- We achieve this by using ozone.
You can find out more about the use of ozone at our dental clinic here.
Periodontal disease treatment process
- First we rinse your mouth with ozonated water which reduces bacterial and microbial content.
- We then remove bacterial and calcium deposits mechanically using a continuous flow of ozonated water. This has an action which removes deposits on a gross scale as well as at the biological level.
- Following gross removal of all calcium deposits, we look at particular areas of concern where a gap exists between the tooth and gum, areas known as pockets or gum recession.
- We irrigate those areas with ozonated water and use special techniques to eliminate bacteria located under the gums.
- We also offer a deeper level of treatment for particularly troublesome areas. This treatment involves an extended and repeated diffusion of ozone gas into and around the diseased areas using an ozone gas generator.
- The healing process begins immediately after the mechanical and biological treatment processes are applied.
The beauty with ozone gas is that the gas immediately diffuses to penetrate and reach deep down into the pockets. The ozone gas works to eliminate the bacteria which are the cause of periodontal disease.
The benefits of our treatment process
In many cases where large gaps exist between the gum and teeth (known as pockets), the typical surgical procedure used to deal with the disease can be avoided as the ozone water and gas can penetrate the deep pockets and sterilize the area.
- It shortens the healing time. The ozone treatment forms ozonides in the tissues which continue the healing process for weeks, enhancing repair and stimulating regeneration.
- It shortens the time in our treatment room, as we have two things working at the same time – mechanical and biological eradication of the cause.
- More comfort to you. Ozone is used to eliminate sensitivity (to cold / hot foods and drinks and during chewing) and can offer immediate relief from sensitivity during a scale and clean.
Once periodontal disease is treated
- Many conditions in other parts of the body have been shown to make marked signs of improvement.
- Even if you are otherwise fit and healthy, removing infections and bacteria from your mouth will make you feel even better, more energetic and healthier.
Dental and General health definitely go hand in hand!
Periodontal disease maintenance program
Just as we regularly service our major and expensive assets (such as our cars / house and others) to maintain efficiency and prolong their useful life, we need to regularly maintain our teeth.
Regular dental cleans with ozone which is generated at our practice and the use of specialised equipment will result in stabilised periodontal attachment.
We can then work together to prevent the recurrence of periodontal disease and improve your overall health!