The use of ozone and minimally invasive dentistry is having some dramatic results in our practice.
The concept of minimally invasive dentistry is to do as little possible in someone’s mouth but achieve outstanding results. It was not too long ago that dentists treated decay by removing as much of the decayed tooth structure as possible. This was to prevent decay from coming back. These days, with new ozone technology, we remove a minimal amount of tooth structure then apply the ozone inside the cavity. This kills all the bacteria that caused the decay.
This method works even if some of the tooth structure is showing signs of decay and is affected by bacteria. Once it has been disinfected with ozone, there’s no bacteria whatsoever. We can then place calcium or minerals inside the cavity to remineralise the tooth. In this way, the size of the filling is kept small rather than extending massively into the tooth and weakening the structure.
Minimally invasive dentistry, such as this, means that patients experience a quicker procedure. The tooth is not over drilled and because ozone is used to disinfect, as much of the tooth structure as possible is retained. This adds to the integrity of the tooth and prevents it collapsing in the future. One of the unfortunate side effects of a large filling is that the tooth is often badly compromised.
We can also use optical technology to confirm that all the decay has been disinfected from bacteria. An image of the tooth is taken with our SOPROLIFE camera just before we ozonate. This camera uses imaging fluorescence to detect the presence of any bacteria. Prior to ozonation, the image of the decayed area shows the extent of the bacteria. Another image is taken after the ozone treatment to confirm that the cavity is completely disinfected of bacteria. We can then place calcium to remineralise the tooth and make it that little bit stronger. Using minimally invasive dentistry, we have disinfected and prepared the cavity for its filling.
Ozone is also a phenomenal way to decrease teeth sensitivity. A lot of patients suffer from sensitivity when they have a cold drink, and sometimes even with a hot drink. The sensation can range from a dull ache to an electric sharp toothache. A lot of these people have been using sensitive toothpaste for years with very minimal effect.
Using ozone on these patients’ teeth offers almost instant relief. We just direct ozone gas on top of these sensitive areas of the teeth. It even works if the sensitivity is due to recession or exposure of the root’s surface. Thirty seconds of ozone gas and the sensitivity is gone.
The patients are just completely amazed. They haven’t been able to drink anything cold for so long and now, after just one session with the ozone, it’s fixed. Of course, it should be followed up with more ozone applications and remineralisation with calcium. Eventually, the pores of the tooth will be plugged and the sensitivity will be gone for good.