What is Ozone?
- Ozone in nature is a pale blue gas produced naturally by lightning causing oxygen to temporarily recombine into groups of three.
- It forms the ozone layer which protects plants and animals, by preventing damaging ultraviolet light from reaching the earth’s atmosphere.
The oxygen that we breathe is made up of two oxygen atoms and it is the most stable form of oxygen. It’s the addition of this third oxygen atom that gives ozone it’s unique therapeutic benefits.
In the clinical setting, ozone is produced by an ozone generator which uses an electrical discharge field to simulate lightning, causing oxygen to temporarily combine into groups of three.
How does ozone work? (medical information taken from www.antiagingmedicine.com)
Ozone works by enhancing our natural body defenses and improving healing
- Having three oxygen atoms makes ozone unstable and thus highly reactive.
- It instantaneously reacts with the tissues that it comes into contact with “to form peroxides “ and then its gone.
- “These peroxides last for days or even weeks so even though the Ozone is gone”. Even though the ozone is gone, its therapeutic effect continues for days or even weeks after the treatment.
Ozone and the produced peroxides have multiple therapeutic properties:
1. It acts on the membranes of white blood cells, causing them to produce immune related messenger molecules called cytokines. These cytokines regulate the immune system.
This means that:
- If the immune system is under active, as in the case of chronic infection, cancer or AIDS, Ozone can stimulate it.
- If the immune system is over active, e.g. due to autoimmune diseases, Ozone can calm it down.
2. Enhances circulation by improving the flow characteristics of blood.
Many patients with chronic infections like chronic gum conditions have swelling and inflammation at the site impeding circulation, thus decreasing the amount of oxygen carrying hemoglobin which is responsible for providing energy for healing to the area. By enhancing the flow characteristics of blood, more of the oxygen carrying hemoglobin reaches the area, thus allowing for faster and better healing.
3. Enhance uptake of oxygen by stimulating the enzyme diphosphoglycerate (DPG).
DPG enables the release of oxygen from the hemoglobin molecule to be taken up into the cell. In diabetics for example, the absence of an adequate amount of DPG causes the body cells to be starved of oxygen, accounting for the slow healing in diabetics.Ozone is a potent mitochondrial stimulant, increasing mitochondrial energy production required for cells to start healing. The main underlying cause behind all degenerative diseases from diabetes to heart disease is decreased mitochondrial energy production. Ozone can correct this problem.
Ozone also works by inhibiting microorganisms and acting as a potent and
- Ozone interferes with the metabolism of bacterium cells and fungi. Most likely through inhibiting and blocking the operation of enzymatic control systems in the cell.
- Ozone destroys viruses by diffusing through the protein coat and then into the nucleic acid core, resulting in damage to the viral DNA or RNA.
- Ozone virtually kills all bacteria, viruses, fungi and protozoa and no resistance can be developed against ozone. Ozone is effective even against drug resistant bacteria. It can therefore be used safely to disinfect anything from wounds and surgical sites to bench tops and floors.
Ozone in Our Practice
“Biological dentistry is a thought process, an attitude , and a guide formaking choices in the dental practice.” IAOMT.
.Being biological dentists means that we believe that your teeth are an integral part of your body and therefore your overall health.
.We recognise that your dental health can have a major influence on other disease processes in your body, its just the way that the whole body is connected.
.For that reason , as biological dentists ,our approach is to go down to the cellular biological level, meaning that we work on biologically getting rid of the bacteria ( not just mechanically ) as well as uplifting your cellular energy and ability to combat disease and reinforce health.
.We work with your body to allow it to heal itself by eliminating the source of infection and then giving your body cells what it needs to start repair and regeneration.
.As biological dentists , we give your cells Oxygen the basic ingredient for life through Ozone.Please click to Read More ...
Ozone is basically an “exercise in a bottle” , a ” Supercharged” Oxygen
Ozone ensures more efficient utilisation of Oxygen by each cell it comes in contact with, thus enhancing healing , decreasing inflammation, pain and swelling in the treated area. Its use is invaluable in each and every aspect in dentistry.
In our clinical setting, ozone is generated by an ozone generator . At Ozone Dentistry, our Ozone units work by drawing air into the device through a special pump .This air is transferred to a filter that purifies and dehydrates it. The filtered clean dry air is then exposed to a high electrical voltage, ozone is thus produced and is then either applied directly as a gas or mixed with water to purify it and provide us with a bacteria free water source..
Ozonated water in our practice and our dental lines
All OUR pipelines have been renovated to connect to a central disinfection system. This is located at the back of our practice. This provides continuous dissolved ozone solution for absolute water disinfection to our sterilization room and our dental operatives. It also ensures optimum infection control as well as preventing biofilm and scale formation.
What is Biofilm?
Biofilm is a complex dynamically interactive multicellular community of microorganisms, which is protected by a heterogeneous matrix. It builds up inside common dental lines.
The ultimate prevention of infections is to completely eradicate the reservoir source of biofilm formation. Ozone’s oxidation capabilities and its unique antimicrobial qualities is used in our surgery for water disinfection. It is the best approach against biofilm build up in our dental lines.
So not only does ozone provide us with premium water quality, its use in all our dental lines ensures that the water coming out from our dental chair also has a therapeutic effect. This ensures better and faster healing.
Ozone therapy applications
Periodontal Disease (gum and jaw bone disease)
Gum and bone disease is more frequently referred to as Periodontal Disease. It is a major concern for many patients. Most of the time, the disease is bacterial in nature. Ozone with its antibacterial properties, has shown to reduce the bacterial count on the patient both locally and systemically. It also stimulates immune responses, healing and tissue regeneration.
Understanding the problem
.Many patients have chronic gum conditions that are really difficult to cure.Please click to Read More ...
.The problem is that chronic infection means inflammation in the area which means swelling.
.Swelling reduces blood flow to the area reducing the body’s ability to get Oxygen to the area to start healing, it also leads to accumulation of toxins.
.Toxins and bacteria pass on to the main blood stream and link to other chronic and serious illness like diabetes and cardiovascular disease and so it goes on and on and it’s a closed cycle.
.The use of Ozone provides the benefit of enhancing the circulation and the body’s ability to utilize Oxygen.
.This can break this cycle and provide substantial improvement to the condition.
Ozone and dental surgery
Oxygen is absolutely essential to every cell in our body.
The application of ozone therapy to an extraction area, after any surgical procedure or implant placement has shown to reduce the incidence of:
- Post-surgical pain.
Ozone therapy has also been scientifically proven to accelerate the healing rate and aid in hemostasis (stoppage of bleeding).
This power is due to ozone’s anti-microbial properties as well as its magnificent effects on mitochondria. It provides more oxygen to cells and releases more energy to aid in healing.
Ozone and minimally invasive dentistry
Ozone achieves significant results in the treatment of initial decay.
This means that minimal or often no drilling can be achieved , thanks again to its anti-microbial properties.
The advantages of minimally invasive dentistry in ozone therapy:
- Maximum healthy tooth structure preservation.
- Painless and gentle decay removal.
- Often no fillings.
- Healthy tooth structure preservation, especially around the neck and root of the tooth.
- Minimising sensitivity after decay removal.
- Ozone treated teeth are more resistant to subsequent decay.
This ensures that we treat the problem through a biological approach rather than just a mechanical one.
Ozone and Cosmetic Dentistry
Ozone is also used for disinfecting teeth after preparing them to receive fillings.
.Disinfection of inlays and veneers before cementing them on the tooth is also a common use for Ozone .
.Again the main benefit of that is to make use of the biological effects of Ozone whereby we do our best to eradicate infection and give your body a chance to heal .
Ozone and children
With its natural germ killing mode of action, ozone gas has been widely used in minimal invasive dentistry and with children.
- It immediately diffuses into all the fissures of the tooth.
- It can be used to arrest the decay process.
- It kills the microorganisms associated with initial decay without the need of drilling or giving an anaesthetic.
Regular six monthly checkups with ozone therapy applied in the areas of initial decay, will ensure that your child has a positive dental experience.
Even with more advanced cases of decay, ozone therapy can offer more tooth preservation. In many cases, it aids in tooth preservation without the need for root canal treatment or removal of the whole tooth.
Ozone and teeth whitening
Ozone sends activated oxygen below the surface of the tooth giving your teeth a fresher and brighter look.
At the same time it desensitizes the nerve endings to help you obtain results , but without the sensitivity that usually follows dental bleaching!
Ozone and teeth sensitivity
Ozone when applied to any tissue including teeth, immediately desensitizes nerve endings suppressing pain in the median term.
Ozone penetrates into fissures and dentinal tubules, allowing minerals to flood and provide instant pain relief.
Only a few seconds are needed to provide relief from teeth sensitivity.
Ozone and soft tissue lesions
Ozone therapy has been shown to be effective against all kinds of infections
- It is used topically on lesions such as:
- Herpes labials (cold sore).
- Aphthous ulcers.
- Any inflammatory lesions.
- It offers faster healing by:
- Killing microorganisms.
- Increasing oxygenation to the area.
- Allowing for better blood flow to the area.
Ozone and infection control
The biological effects of ozone therapy are unmatchable.
As ozonated water is antimicrobial we use it for disinfecting our:
- Bench tops.
- Dental unit.
This ensures a very high level of cleanliness. It also minimizes our use of undesirable chemicals ensuring we do our bit for our environment.
Ozonated water requires only a short contact time to kill and inactivate bacteria, viruses, parasites and fungi. Ozone disintegrates very quickly, producing no residues with no unacceptable byproducts (only Oxygen).