What is Ozone
- Ozone is a pale blue gas produced naturally by lightning causing oxygen to temporarily recombine into groups of three.
- It forms the ozone layer which protects plants and animals, by preventing damaging ultraviolet light from reaching the earth’s atmosphere.
The oxygen that we breathe is made up of two oxygen atoms and it is the most stable form of oxygen. It’s the addition of this third oxygen atom that gives ozone it’s unique therapeutic benefits.
In the clinical setting, ozone is produced by an ozone generator which uses an electrical discharge field to simulate lightning, causing oxygen to temporarily combine into groups of three.
How does ozone work?
Ozone works by enhancing our natural body defenses and improving healing
- Having three oxygen atoms makes ozone unstable and thus highly reactive.
- It instantaneously reacts with the tissues that it comes into contact with to form peroxides and then its gone.
- These peroxides last for days or even weeks so even though the Ozone is gone its therapeutic effect continues for days or even weeks after the treatment.
Ozone and the produced peroxides have multiple therapeutic properties: (medical information taken from www.antiagingmedicine.com)
1. It acts on the membranes of white blood cells, causing them to produce immune related messenger molecules called cytokines. These cytokines regulate the immune system.
This means that:
- If the immune system is under active, as in the case of chronic infection, cancer or AIDS, Ozone can stimulate it.
- If the immune system is over active, e.g. due to autoimmune diseases, Ozone can calm it down.
2. Enhances circulation by improving the flow characteristics of blood.
Many patients with chronic infections like chronic gum conditions have swelling and inflammation at the site impeding circulation, thus decreasing the amount of oxygen carrying hemoglobin which is responsible for providing energy for healing to the area. By enhancing the flow characteristics of blood, more of the oxygen carrying hemoglobin reaches the area, thus allowing for faster and better healing.
3. Enhance uptake of oxygen by stimulating the enzyme diphosphoglycerate (DPG).
DPG enables the release of oxygen from the hemoglobin molecule to be taken up into the cell. In diabetics for example, the absence of an adequate amount of DPG causes the body cells to be starved of oxygen, accounting for the slow healing in diabetics.Ozone is a potent mitochondrial stimulant, increasing mitochondrial energy production required for cells to start healing. The main underlying cause behind all degenerative diseases from diabetes to heart disease is decreased mitochondrial energy production. Ozone can correct this problem.
Ozone also works by inhibiting microorganisms and acting as a potent and safe disinfectant.
- Ozone interferes with the metabolism of bacterium cells and fungi. Most likely through inhibiting and blocking the operation of enzymatic control systems in the cell.
- Ozone destroys viruses by diffusing through the protein coat and then into the nucleic acid core, resulting in damage to the viral DNA or RNA.
- Ozone virtually kills all bacteria, viruses, fungi and protozoa and no resistance can be developed against ozone. Ozone is effective even against drug resistant bacteria. It can therefore be used safely to disinfect anything from wounds and surgical sites to bench tops and floors.